Mathematics fills the world around us with life, meaning and beauty. It is more than numbers and equations. It's a rich and diverse subject that reaches into nearly every aspect of our lives.
Our programs inspire students to explore the world of mathematics in a fun, hands-on and exploratory way. They are offered by one of the world's leading mathematics research departments and draw from mathematics research and exploration resources.
Whether you are seeking to encourage a mathematical shy student or to challenge a student who wants to dive into competition based mathematics we have a program for you.
For students who are shy about the subject we have programs that show them that math is not just for the elite; it is not just for the ‘super smart’ or those that have a ‘math brain’.
For those students who want to be challenged in the subject we have programs that build problem solving skills and dive into research based problems.
No matter what you are looking for the programs offered by the Department of Mathematics at the University of Toronto will show you and your child the subject of Mathematics in a whole new and exciting way.
Come join us and change your equation!
Grades 2 - 8
Our two main programs for students in grades 2 - 8 are our Math Camps and our Saturday programs. Each of these is divided into the following groups:
- Math FUNdamentals: This fall 2017 we are offering a new class designed specifically for grade 2 students. Participants will approach fundamental math concepts through activities, games, and crafts. This program is designed in the same spirit as our other math clubs and summer camps, but tailored to the math skill level of our youngest participants.
- Inspiring Math Minds: These programs are designed to help students build their confidence and skills with Mathematics. These courses assist students, through hands-on, fun-filled activities, to build their strength and confidence and to help inspire them to experience the subject more fully and with more confidence.
- Enriching Math Minds: These programs are designed to challenge students and to enrich their already strong skills in mathematics. The courses are designed to challenge through hands-on, fun-filled activities and to test their math skills through challenging problems and concepts.
- Girls in STEM: The number of girls who pursue studies and careers in mathematics is still surprisingly low. This program seeks to inspire young women to consider the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math with hands-on workshops, lectures and panel discussions lead by female role models in the STEM fields. Open to female students in Grades 6 - 8.
Other programs for these students include the following:
- Competitions: For those students who are looking to put their math skills to the test we also offer the opportunity for student to write a wide array of contests and competitions. These competitions range from fun, yet challenging contests open to anyone who wants to join and have some fun to high level contests designed to really put a student's math skills to the test.
H.S. Math Prep
- High School Math Preparation Class: This program is for students in grades 7 - 9 who may be lagging behind the rest of the class in mathematics but otherwise have demonstrated an ability to learn at grade level in other courses. It provides students with a unique learning environment where they can regain their confidence while filling in the gaps in their knowledge of mathematics.
Grades 9 - 12
- Math Academy: This program provides students with experience in Mathematics and Mathematics Research. The program strives to introduce students to concepts not typically covered in the standard curriculum. Students will gain knowledge and skills in various aspects of mathematics and will have a chance to meet with members of the department currently involved in mathematics research. There is an application process for this program.
- Mentorship Program: The mentorship program links high potential mathematics students with our graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty members to spend 4 months working on a research based project. This is a highly competitive program and requires an application.
- School Visits Program: Our school visits program gives educators a chance to bring their students to the University of Toronto to experience mathematics in a whole new way. Participants get to experience a hands-on workshop lead by various members of our faculty. This program is free to attend.
To register for any of our programs or to be place on our mailing list for program updates please create an account on our system by clicking the button below.
Registration is free and we only ask for your name, email address and phone number.
We won't use any of your information or contact you unless you give us permission and we will NEVER call you unless there is an issue with your account or there is an issue with your child currently participating in the program.
We hope to see you soon!