COVID-19 NOTICE: March 18, 2020. In an effort to slow the transmission of COVID-19, U of T has suspended all in-person classes until April 3 and recommended cancelling all discretionary events until further notice. As such, Math Plus outreach programs are suspended until further notice.
The Department of Mathematics offers a wide number of competitions aimed at a range of students. Click on any competition link for further details.
- Math Kangaroo: aimed at students from Grades 1 – 12, the Math Kangaroo Contest offers participants a fun and challenging way to get involved with math and math competitions. It is an international competition and students are ranked and awarded both regionally and nationally. The competition is written here on campus at our three campus locations (Downtown, Mississauga and Scarborough) at the end of March each year with training sessions (online and on-campus) offered starting in January.
- Tournament of the Towns: open to students in Grades 7 – 12, it has two levels (Open and Advanced). The competition is open to anyone at any level and is designed to encourage students with imagination and creativity in mathematics to challenge themselves in an Internationally ranked competition. The competition is written at our downtown campus in Fall and Spring each year with Preparation sessions offered the weeks leading up to the competition.
- The Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge: offered by the Canadian Mathematical Society and is open to students from across Canada to be written at their schools. The COMC is written on Thursday, November 7 this year.
- American Mathematics Competitions: hosted by the Mathematical Association of America each year. The AMC 8 will be written on Tuesday, November 12, 2019; AMC 10A/10B/12A/12B will be in January/February 2020.
Contests Organized by External Organizations
- Math Stars Competition: a nationwide contest open to all Grade 6, 7, and 8 students. The regional contest for the Toronto Region will be held in March 2018.